Metheringham Airfield History

Built on land requisitioned by the War Department in 1942, RAF Metheringham was built as a standard layout, temporary wartime airfield with 3 concrete runways and accommodation for over 2000 personnel in a County that offered the near perfect conditions for airfields to strike at Germany. Finally finished in October 1943 it was assigned to 5 Group Bomber Command.

Lancaster bombers from 106 Squadron Royal Air Force, transferring from RAF Syerston arrived just in time for the Battle of Berlin and undertook their first mission from the incomplete station on 18th November 1943. The squadron was destined to remain at Metheringham until February 1946, and was the only operational unit based there during hostilities.

By the end of the Second World War, 106 Squadron had suffered the loss of 187 aircraft and 995 airmen killed on operations, but had served with distinction during it's short time based at Metheringham and amassed many decorations including a Victoria Cross awarded to Flight Engineer Sgt Norman Jackson.

After VE Day, 467 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force arrived to train with 106 Squadron for operations in the Far East, but with the surrender of Japan in August 1945, 467 Squadron was quickly disbanded and replaced with 189 Squadron RAF, which in turn was soon stood down. 106 Squadron remained operational until February 1946 when this too was disbanded and Metheringham was closed to flying soon after.

Although remaining in a fairly complete state until the early 1950s, the hangars and most of the domestic site buildings were demolished by the end of the next decade and the airfield land had been sold and returned to agriculture.

Today, several of the former technical site buildings remain in use for commercial purposes and the former ration store is now a museum devoted to Bomber Command’s wartime occupation of the site. The outline of the airfield is also still visible and sections of the disused runways are in use as public highways after being commissioned to reinstate two minor roads closed during the airfield construction. A memorial commemorating the airfield can also be found on the aircraft perimeter track.